Fire, FIRE! #SundayBlogShare

Fire, FIRE! A friend recently had a grease fire in her kitchen whilst preparing breakfast and came to the quick realization that she had no fire extinguisher. This got me to thinking about some of the kitchen safety tips that my mom and grandmothers shared over the years. Since we in the US have our Thanksgiving day holiday coming up this week, I thought I would share some tips. Before it was common to have a fire extinguisher in the house, my grandmothers used flour or baking soda to put out grease fires if putting a lid on the pan didn’t work. You don’t ever want to use water as this cause the grease fire to expand rapidly. Another obvious safety tip, especially if you have a Boy Scout around, is don’t cut toward yourself. The results of doing so will soon be painfully obvious. Just don’t do it. Another good one is keep dish towel, rags and oven mitts away from the stove. While designed to handle hot things, most oven mitts will catch on fire and burn if they come in contact with a hot stove burner. One of my favorites, is don’t chop wood in the kitchen. Okay this probably doesn’t apply to very many of you, but one of my grandmothers had a wood burning stove. Another really good one, especially if you have little ones or pets that can reach the stove, is keep the handles turned away from the front. Along with this, don’t leave pots and pans on the stove unattended. The list goes on and on. That said, just use a little common sense. I know we all get in rush, but take a few minutes and think about your kitchen safety precautions before somethings happens, you’ll be glad that you did. Have an #AWEsome holiday.

One thought on “Fire, FIRE! #SundayBlogShare

  1. susielindau

    These are fantastic tips! Thanks for the reminders and bringing this to the party! It’s never too late to “Use Me and Abuse Me!”
    Have a fantastic and safe Thanksgiving!

    Reply

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

CommentLuv badge