Another episode of To Do List Tuesday is brought to you today by Old Man Winter. Last Tuesday gave a few things to think about getting our cars ready for winter. Today we list a few things to do prepare your house, apartment or flat for coming cold weather. I have had pipes burst because they froze. I had the thermostat set to low. So don’t try to save money by turning off the heat. This can cause more trouble and cost than you can imagine. There are several free or cheap things you can do to cut your energy bill.
- Check your windows and doors for air leaks. Caulk them.
- Roll up a towel and keep it at the base of closed doors.
- Seal up leaks in your duct work. Duct Tape!
- wear an extra layer and turn the thermostat down to 68F (20C)
- Seal up any chimneys you are not using.
- Change the direction on your ceiling fan so it blows air down.
- Change your air filters in your heating/cooling system.
- Close off rooms you aren’t using and cover the windows with blankets or insulation.
- If you have storm doors or windows, install them.
- Call your energy provider and see if they will do a free energy audit of your house.
There are many more things you can do to winterize your home. If you are even moderately handy, you can check out some projects here.
What are some of your tips or maybe a painful lesson learned? Share and keep your neighbor safe and warm!
Photo Credit: Weather Underground