Today’s To Do List Tuesday is all about financial planning and review. I don’t care if you make a little or a lot, everyone should check and plan for your future. I will caveat everything here by saying, I am not a professional financial planner. Even if you think you don’t “qualify” to have a financial planner, I would find one. There are many good financial planners that will offer a free consultation. Here is a partial list of things you should review, consider, plan and act upon:
- Review your financial goals. I’m not talking about the generic I wanna retire early and rich. Those are worthy thoughts, but completely useless unless you make some specific written goals. I want to retire at age 55 with $X in the bank. Now you have a goal. Make a plan to achieve it. I must save $Y/week to retire at age 55. Now you have something you can track. You can do this on a simple spreadsheet.
- Review your budget and see how you are doing. My wife pulls all our numbers and checks everything quarterly. If you are just getting started with a budget, you might want to do this monthly for the first 4-5 months
- Check your emergency fund or start one if you don’t have one. Ideally it is 3-6 months of expenses, but something is better than nothing! This is one of your financial goals. Have a 3 month emergency fund of $X by a specific date.
- Assess any big life changes. Getting married? divorced? Having children? Changing jobs? Buying a house? All these require some extra planning and attention.
- Review your home owners or renters insurance. Do you need more or less insurance?
- Review your health insurance.
- Review your list of financial goals for the last year. If you have any debt, eliminating or reducing that is your number one goal. Update date and add new goals for next year.
- Do you have your will and other important documents up to date and in a fire safe?
This list is not complete and some of the things are not applicable to you. Remember that your financial goals don’t have to start huge, but they have to start. As a matter of fact it’s usually better to start small. The more achievable the goal the better off you are. If you are literally starting from nothing. Make a goal to have 100 dollars/pounds/euros/dinar, whatever in savings by the end of the month. If 100 is not doable make it 50, but start today. Good luck and let’s have some responsible finances out there! Thanks for dropping by.
Ok, I know most people are not happy that it’s Monday. But I have an attitude of gratitude. I’m grateful that I was able to wake up and get out of bed. I’m grateful that I have food to eat. I’m grateful for my loving wife. I’m grateful that I have a job that helps support all my bad habits, like eating, sleeping under a roof and traveling. Wake up and smile and look yourself in the mirror and say “You are great and deserve the best.” You do. All of us do. Get out there and have a great day and an amazing week!
Starting April 1st I will probably be a little slower than normal in responding to comments. As you know, I am participating in my first April A-to-Z challenge. I’m looking forward to roaming the blog-o-sphere to check out new and interesting blogs. Several of the blogs I follow regularly are also participating, so as well as checking on their posts, I want to visit at least 10 new blogs every day in April. I do not plan to take part in any other challenges, tasks, awards, etc. during this time. I am grateful for all the people involved in organizing and moderating the A-to-Z challenge. Thanks for dropping by and Happy Monday!
If we were having coffee, First I would have to babble excitedly about Down Home Thoughts nominated for the Creative Blogger Award. This is the blog’s first award! I’m glad it happened before the April A-to-Z Challenge and during it. The April A-to-Z Challenge kicks off next week on April 1st. Did I mention I signed up for that? You can read my topics here. What was I thinking? 🙂 I would also tell you that I’ve still been working on my patience this week while driving. My goal is to reduce or eliminate my yelling at other drivers. This week was better than last, but still have room for improvement.
I would ask if you have any fun projects or plans in the works and then I would tell you about my books. The book promoting character still needs a good name. The first draft is under review. Any way, the character book is coming along nicely. The second book is a work of science fiction. I have a very rough story outline, some name ideas and maybe a chapter written on it. There is no deadline as of yet. My plan here is to test chapters and characters in an occasional post on Down Home Thoughts or maybe on a writing blog somewhere. Not really sure. What do you think?
Well I’ve finished my coffee and I need to get back to my lovely wife and enjoy the rest of our weekend. I hope that you have a pleasant and thoughtful weekend.
Don’t forget to write your own coffee share and add it to the linky at Part Time Monster.
It’s getting close!
The A-to-Z Challenge is coming soon. Here is a little more detail on the bits of wisdom my Grandma managed to pass along to me. I would like to ask for your thoughts on my A-to-Z articles when they publish. This is my first year to enter the fracas know as the A-to-Z challenge. Let me know what you like, what you dont’, thoughts for improvement. Have a great day.
A – Affirmation
B – Biscuits
C – Cheerful
D – Duty
E – Everybody
F – Friends
G – Gratitude
H – Howdy
I – Intolerance
J – Judgement
K – Knowledge
L – Learning
M – Money
N – Neighbors
O – Optimism
P – Passion
Q – Quiet
R – Right
S – Service
T – Temperance
U – Unselfish
V – Visit
W – Will
X – Xplore
Y – You
Z – Zacariah
I hope that are able to find a thought or two that you want to keep and I would love you to leave a thought or two. I don’t know everything, and can always learn more. 🙂 Have a great weekend.