A-to-Z 2015 A is for Affirmation

Here it is. The first of many, many A to Z Challenge posts to flood the Blog-O-Sphere with new and interesting tidbits (we hope) to awe our faithful readers with our ability to alphabetize 🙂  I sincerely hope that over the next month that we all find something that interests, entertains, educates and makes us think. Enjoy the thoughts.

An affirmation opens the door. Quote by Louise L. Hay

An affirmation opens the door.

How do you interact with the hobos in your life? Ok, my grandmother never used the word affirmation, however she certainly embodied the definition. She would always, uplift those around her. This is one of my favorite character traits that Grandma taught me by living it. There was always a kind and positive word for everyone from the grandkids to the adults to the hobos that would show up occasionally.  I was amazed that there were people with no homes, no jobs, few possessions and for many of them, little or no self-image.  Grandma always had a few simple chores that she left for when one of the hobos showed up. She always insisted that they do something for the food she gave them, even if it was a trivial task. When I asked her about it, she replied, “Honey they feel bad about having to beg for food, so I give them the chance to feel better by giving me some work in return for food.”  She always gave them as much as they could carry. She showed me the importance of affirmation.

63 thoughts on “A-to-Z 2015 A is for Affirmation

1. mindfulaide

Such an inspirational post! I like that idea of trading with people that are in need. Usually I just give change or food to beggars I pass on the street.

Thank you! Glad you stopped by and shared your thoughts. I have taken this approach in large cities, like Dallas, TX and quickly found that few of those panhandling are interested in working. They just want money. I have offered to buy them a meal, but they refuse. They don’t want to give up their corner.

2. Mark Koopmans

You obviously had a very smart grandma, and how better we would all be, if more people followed her lead.

Best of luck with A to Z (we can do this!!)

She was a very intelligent lady. Not “book smart” as she would say, but wise none-the-less. Thanks for stopping by and sharing your thoughts!

3. luckyjc007

Great read! Nice that she was thinking of their being able to feel good about accepting the food and giving you a valuable lesson in the process as well.

4. Susan

She may not have been book smart, but she was certainly life smart! A great role model for those in her circle of influence. May we all learn a lesson from her ability to affirm others.

She was a tremendous role model and you are right there are many stories here. Stay tuned over the next month for more 🙂 Thanks for sharing your thoughts and for stopping by.

Thank you for the kind thoughts and for stopping by. I’ll drop by and check out your blog. There are so many interesting blogs and subjects. I feel like kid in a candy store, or maybe a nerd in a used bookstore 🙂

5. Michelle Wallace

Hi Shawn!
    Affirmation – a beautiful word.
    I believe that you “don’t judge a man until you have walked a mile in his shoes” .
    “Be kind. Everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.”
    Happy A-Day! 🙂

Very true! Thanks for sharing your thoughts and dropping by. I’ll have to swing by and check out your A-to-Z challenge!

6. Celine Jeanjean

How wonderful! That is such a great approach, your grandma sounds like an amazing woman…And I think she hit on something that I think is easy to overlook/forget : that people feel bad about begging. Your grandmother gave them much more than food, she gave them a little dignity and that is just wonderful 🙂

She was wonderful. She was always very empathetic. Thanks so much for stopping by and sharing your thoughts.

7. Vagrant Rhodia

I’ve been in a few situations where I’ve needed to ask for help and it’s a really humbling experience. I’ve also had opportunities to help others in times of need. I believe we are all part of a larger community.
    Thank you for sharing this post.

Thanks for stopping by and sharing your thoughts! I think most of us have difficulty asking for help. I know I do. Have a great day.

Unfortunately I feel that “society” has driven most of to fear our fellow person. I agree that one must be more careful than in my grandmother’s day. Thanks for stopping by and sharing your thoughts!

I wish more people were like her. The world would be a much better place. I’m glad you aspire to be like her. Thanks for stopping by and sharing your thoughts!

8. Nadine

What a beautiful post! I’m really looking forward to more. Makes me think of my own grandmothers and all I learned from them.

I also remembered the day a man came by and asked if we had some task he could do for us. He was obviously hungry, and I offered him some food, but he wanted to work first. I’ll never forget.

Thank you! That’s a great story! Glad I bring back some good memories. Thanks for stopping by and sharing your thoughts!

9. Chippy

Your Grandma sounds like an awesome lady and the world would definitely be a better place with more people like her 🙂

Stopping by from A To Z

She was a great lady. Thanks for dropping by and sharing your thoughts. I’m loving A-to-Z, but there are waaaaay too many great blogs out there. I don’t think I can visit them all, but I”m trying.

10. Pingback: Caffeine, must have caffeine | Down Home Thoughts

11. Pingback: 5 Affirmation Quote To Keep You Going. What's your favorite?