A-to-Z 2015 D is for Duty

Duty. Grandma always made sure that I had chores to do and that I knew what they were and how to take care of them. When I was little, it might be as simple as taking out the trash or carrying the laundry from the house to the wash shed for her.  She taught me not just duty to my family, but duty God and to the country. It all started with simple chores and jobs around the house. Later, the tasks and responsibilities became larger. Grandma helped instill in me a sense of responsibility and duty.

Quote-Phillips Brooks on  Duty

Quote-Phillips Brooks on Duty

21 thoughts on “A-to-Z 2015 D is for Duty

1. luckyjc007

I’m liking your grandma more and more. Your posts are a great tribute to her , and her teachings. It’s too bad everyone doesn’t have someone in their life like her.

Thanks! I’m glad you like the posts. My hope is that I can pass along some of the lessons she taught me. Glad you stopped by and shared your thoughts.

2. Tarkabarka

My grandma was very similar. Not as much about God and country, but definitely about the chores 😀

@TarkabarkaHolgy from
    Multicolored Diary – Epics from A to Z
    MopDog – 26 Ways to Die in Medieval Hungary

3. Silvia Writes

My kind of grandma. I try to do this with my son, but many times give up and do the chore myself just to get it done. Have to catch myself, step back, and insist upon this. Great post, Shawn.

Thanks and good luck to you. I know the feeling from both my son and daughter. Especially the son 🙂 Thanks for dropping by and sharing your thoughts.

4. SD Gates

Chores are real bone of contention around our house. But I sense that the boys are grasping the concept now as they become older. As far as the broader picture, I am afraid it seems to be duty to oneself and then if any if any energy is left over, maybe, just maybe duty to others. It’s a shame. We need more Grandmas keeping us grounded. Wonderful post!!!

Thanks so much. Great thoughts! I agree we need more of that Grandma influence. Glad you liked the post. Share with your friends 🙂

5. njmagas

My grandmother tried to teach me that family was important and that I only had one sister and I should be nice to her. I don’t think she understood how completely polar opposite my sister and I were (and still are) in personality. Even to this day we just barely tolerate being in the same room with one another, but only for short periods of time, and only for the benefit of family functions.

To be fair though, I understand now where my grandmother was coming from. She was separated from her siblings by half of Canada, and missed them a great deal. They’d talk on the phone together a couple times a month, but family trips were infrequent. In fact, I think I only meat those relations once or twice in my life.

After my grandmother died, the extended family put together a book detailing the whereabouts of all her family. Each of he thirteen brothers and sisters, where they ended up, if they were alive or dead, where their kids and their grandkids were. For the first time I recognized the scope of the family, and how lonely my grandmother must have felt, being the only one from such a large brood living out on the west coast.

N J Magas, author

6. Alex Hurst

My father had the same feelings as your grandmother. Chores were a part of life for us… not to keep us busy, but to teach us responsibility, and care for our possessions. We were less likely to break a toy or make a mess if we understood the time and care that went into things.

A good lesson. 🙂

Alex Hurst, A Fantasy Author in Kyoto
    A-Z Blogging in April Participant

Thanks for stopping by and sharing your thoughts! Chores do help a great deal with the understanding of work

7. Susan

You were very blessed to have such a grandma. My husband and I tried to establish a sense of duty through chores when our children were younger, but our efforts were interfered with by a family member who felt ‘children should be children’ and there would be time to train them later. Let me assure everyone reading that you have a short window of opportunity to instill certain qualities in your children and after that it is much much harder for them to grasp these.

Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts and experiences!! It is a narrow window indeed. As we get older it becomes more difficult to change. Possible but difficult, so try to instill good character while they are young.

8. Pingback: Down Home Thoughts A-to-Z - Down Home Thoughts