A-to-Z 2015 G is for Gratitude

Gratitude.  My grandfather was a coal miner. My grandmother took care of the home, the garden, the laundry, the cooking, the cleaning and the kids. They did not have much in the way that our materialistic society today measures things, but what they did have, they were grateful for it. They had a small garden, a few cows and pigs and chickens. This provided their food. They had great neighbors, friends and family. They had a clear, cold spring for fresh water. Grandaddy worked in the coal mines and had black lung disease from breathing all the coal dust. He trouble doing anything without getting out of breath.  Grandma had severe osteoarthritis and had a hard time getting around or using her hands. Even with all these challenges, they were grateful what they had, plenty of food, water and good family and friends. Above all they had gratitude.

Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but is the parent of all the others. - Cicerio

Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but is the parent of all the others. – Cicero

19 thoughts on “A-to-Z 2015 G is for Gratitude

1. Ruchi

My grand parents were the same too! I am trying to take this virtue from them. Thank you for reminding of this blessing.

2. nfhill

A to Z is fun. Wouldn’t have found this blog without it! I am grateful for the opportunity to fill my new blog with 26 posts – which I would not have done had it not been for this challenge. I remember my grandparents, but they were in their seventies when I was born. I remember Grandma laughing, Grandpa’s tinkering shop, the 3 holer out-house, and a gorgeous flower garden. Thanks for reminding me to remember them today.

A-to-Z is a blast! Glad you could stop by and share your thoughts. Grandparents are the best! Lots of good memories

3. Lori L MacLaughlin

It seems like people were happier with a lot less back then, and they didn’t take so much for granted. I know my grandparents were that way. I try to be like them and be grateful for what I have.

Yes, it does seem like the more we have, the less gratitude we feel. Thanks for dropping by and sharing your thoughts.

I’s pretty nasty. I remember Granddaddy mostly just sitting in his rocking chair because he was always out of breath.

4. julz

sounds like the way many welsh coal miners used to live – like your contributions to the A-Z challenge – thanks for liking mine!

It sure does, though Granddaddy would not speak of the mines much except to encourage me to do something else.

5. Sue Archer

I think it’s good to get some perspective by thinking about others who are going through hardships that you can only imagine. I am grateful for many things in my life!

6. roweeee

Must have another talk to my kids about gratitude instead of “I want…!” No matter how much some people have, they are never satisfied which is perhaps one of life’s worst afflections.

I would have to agree. Society today is lacking in gratitude. I think it’s great that you talk to your kids about gratitude. I will have to point out that if you just talk to them but do not exhibit gratitude in your daily life where they can see it, it won’t be very effective.

1. roweeee

The trouble is that I am not the only influence on them either. My husband can get a bit negative and as for my Mum, she falls into a league all of her own. The irony is that she has been blessed with so much but there are also difficulties but she allows the bad to swamp the good…very much like a paddock of weeds choking the good seed.

Yes, I have people like that in my life and I try very hard to nicely limit the time I spend with them. Not easy, especially when it’s family.

2. roweeee

It’s also hard to because we are called to love people warts and all and not to judge others. It’s a hard call.