Summer House Prep Tips
Eight house prep tips? Anyone that owns or has owned a house, know that there are way more than 8 things to check around your home. This is just a short list to get you thinking about the maintenance needed for your domicile. Summer is just around the corner. Some of you think this doesn’t apply to me. You might be thinking if you live in an apartment or flat, that you don’t have to do this. You’re right you don’t. But who pays the utility bills? Apartment dwellers can still check for leaks around windows and doors. Call the landlord and get them to fix anything you find. Where ever you live, there are specific things that you might want to add to this list. For example, sea-side houses our more prone to exterior metal corrosion due to the salt air.
Outdoor Summer House Prep Tips:
- Walk around your home’s exterior check for peeling paint, loose gutters and boards.
- Prune trees and shrubs, especially next to the house..
- Remove lint from dryer exhaust vent.
- Check window and door seals. Caulk if needed. Don’t forget pet and garage doors.
Indoor Summer House Prep Tips:
- Change or clean heating, ventilating and air conditioning filters.
- Clean kitchen appliances inside and out, including refrigerator coils.
- Clean drains by adding a half-cup of baking soda followed by a half-cup of white vinegar. After 10-15 minutes, flush with boiling water.
- Drain or flush water heater. You might want to read the manual.
Let’s get ready for summer so we can enjoy our house without worrying about what is going to break next or how you are going to keep it cool during the heat of summer. Always take proper safety precautions and use the proper tools and equipment. If you decide to get help, I recommend that whomever you use is bonded and insured. What things do you do to get your house ready for summer?