Building Trust The Keystone of Society
Why is trust so important? Well, for one, you really can’t have friends without it. You can’t bank without it. Business is difficult to conduct without it. Building trust is key to so many aspects of a rational functioning society. Forging Character requires building trust. Merriam-Webster describes trust as a “reliance on the character, ability, strength, or truth of someone or something.
How do we go about building trust?
- Say what you are going to do and then do what you say!
- Communicate, communicate, communicate. Frequent, honest communication builds trust. Poor communication is one of the key reasons marriages and work relationships fall apart.
- Trust is built one day, one interaction at a time, and yet it can be lost in a moment because of one poor decision. Make the right decision.
- Value long-term relationships more than short-term success.
- Sell without selling out. Focus more on your core principles and customer loyalty than short-term commissions and profits.
- Trust generates commitment; commitment fosters teamwork; and teamwork delivers results. When people trust their team members they not only work harder, but they work harder for the good of the team.
- Be honest! My mother always told me to tell the truth. She would say, “If you lie to me then we can’t be a strong family. So don’t ever lie to me even if the news isn’t good.”
- Become a coach. Coach your customers. Coach your team at work. Guide people, help them be better and you will earn their trust.
- Show people you care about them. When people know you care about their interests as much as your own they will trust you. If they know you are out for yourself, their internal alarm sounds and they will say to themselves “watch out for that person.”
- Always do the right thing. We trust those who live, walk and work with integrity.
- When you don’t do the right thing, admit it. Be transparent, authentic and willing to share your mistakes and faults. When you are vulnerable and have nothing to hide you radiate trust.
How do you build trust?
Do these things work for you? What are some things that you do to build trust? Why is trust important to you? Do you have challenges building trust? If so, what are they? I would love hear your thoughts. Please leave a comment below. If you like this, please share it with your friends and family.