What does cheerful have to do with Character? It is part of having a good attitude and it is more important than you think. Take a moment to think about the people who you have to spend time with. Would you prefer happy, smiling cheerful attitudes? Or do you like someone who complains, whines and runs everyone around them into the ground?
I really hope you said the person with the great attitude. Martha Washington gave us a great thought on being cheerful:
Be cheerful and happy in every situation. The greater part of our misery is determined not by our circumstance but by our disposition. – Martha WashingtonBe cheerful and happy in every situation. The greater part of our misery is determined not by… Click To Tweet
Why being cheerful is important
Being cheerful helps not only you, but everyone around you. A good attitude goes a long way toward making work more fun. Relationships are easier to manage when you adopt an enthusiastic attitude. People prefer to be around those who are cheerful.
Still not convinced? Check out the stories on Wisdom Commons. Many good things come from being a person that others wish to be around.
Benefits of being cheerful
Here are just a few of the benefits of having a happy countenance. Don’t take my word for it. John Hopkins Medical has a great article on Cheerfulness and Heart Health.
- Helps you be more healthy
- Helps you generate more ideas
- Solves problems easier
- Makes you new friends
- Turns enemies into friends
- Helps in resolving misunderstandings
- Builds deeper relationships
- Increases your immunity
- Recovers from illness faster
- Makes pain and sadness easier to bear
- Fills you with increased vitality
- Makes you more attractive
- Increases your charisma and charm
- Makes you more money and increases your wealth
- Keeps you strong in all aspects, (physically, mentally, emotionally, socially, spiritually, financially and others)
- Makes work more enjoyable
- Makes tough challenges easier to bear
- Makes life more meaningful and purposeful.
- Prolong your life
- Makes your community and the world a better place to live